A MOTHER has issued a warning over a common children’s favorite food that could pose a choking hazard.
She recommended looking for alternatives to the snack in order to prevent a medical emergency.
Nikki Jurcutz (@tinyheartseducation) filmed herself demonstrating how little ones can easily choke on popular foods in a video posted to TikTok.
“Why I don’t give marshmallows to kids under five,” read the text.
She revealed that when the sweet snack gets wet, it becomes particularly dangerous.
“When they’re wet they become sticky and more difficult to swallow and can be more difficult to remove from the airway,” she added.
She demonstrated the issue using a plastic tube to represent the airway.
“Grape in the airway,” she said, while inserting a grape into the tube.
She simulated giving the tube back blows the same way one would give a child.
The grape eventually become dislodged when back blows were used.
Next, she applied the same simulation only this time using a marshmallow.
The sticky food clearly did not budge when she administered black blows to the decoy.
“This is why marshmallows are such a high risk choking food.
“You can modify marshmallows to make them safer by cutting them into smaller pieces or swap out for mini marshmallows instead.
“Modifying foods is a great way to make foods safer for your little one,” she advised in the caption.
The video struck a chord with viewers, with one concerned parent commenting: “OMG I’ve been giving my three-year-old marshmallows. Not anymore. Thank you for this info.”